Team Bultaco Page

 

 

         
 

 

Google

 

                                    

Pile of Parts. Click to Enlarge. The Bul Lives! Click to Enlarge.

 

I found this Pursang all cut up at the local recycling center.  The price was right!

	After some good advice from Bob Hogan, making a few phone calls, and
finishing most of the M86 Pursang I was currently refurbishing, I thought to
myself, "Why not see if you can assemble the frame?".

Fortunately for me, a friend owns a precision welding company. He
thought I was out of my mind when I brought him the remains of that machine.
"Can it be strengthened?" I asked. "Stronger then when it was new," was his
answer. He machined tubular steel dowels to the exact I.D. and M.I.G.
welded around the severed sections. Suddenly a motorcycle began to take
shape. It was then I decided to take the Bul by itís horns.

Sandblasting the frame was the next step, followed by the zinc 
phosphate bath for rust prevention and good primer adhesion. On previous
restorations I had used an automotive two-part enamel, and I felt the finish
was too thick looking compared to original paint. So with this bike I
applied aerosol truck and van paint followed by a two-part clearcoat. The 
result is fabulous. 

I like to let the paint harden for as long as possible before
assembling. My next attention was to the motor. The bike was
lacking a few motor components, such as; carb, clutch side cover and 
electrics. I was able to locate and old M26 MKIII Matador parts bike for
$75. This machine was complete. Bob Hogan said the two motors shared the
same carb, cover and electrics according to specs. (Early Pursangs had
points type ignition also). By marrying the two motors, I was able to 
complete one. Old alloy cases respond well to rotary fine wire brushing,
the result being a satin brushed look which I prefer to a mirror polished.
The cylinder and head were then bead blasted and washed.

Both the front and the rear
fenders had been painted over with a couple of coats of paint. My next 
task was to strip the old off. I removed the layers of paint one coat at
a time. The first layer was a dark red, followed by a medium blue metallic,
then ruddy brown primer, then the original gel coat of fire red. I began to
repair any checks and divots within the glass. 

Then I called Lynn Mobley. He 
said he had a tank in good condition, and would ship it immediately. The 
tank came soon enough, an orange and metallic silver repaint as described. As
I started to remove the layers of paint, I came upon medium blue metallic,
then ruddy brown primer. Wait a minute! Medium blue metallic, then ruddy
brown primer? I ran to the garage where the fenders were. Part of the blue
met. paint was still left on them. It was a match! I couldn't believe it.
This was the same exact paint! This was the original tank that was on the 
machine to begin with! 
I am the
proud owner of a beautiful M48 Pursang. Viva Bultaco!


Thanks to Bob Hogan, Hugh Weaver, and Lynn Mobley for all their help,
but especially Bob for his extra effort in helping the restoration project
come together. Thanks Bob.


" ! Siempre con el pulgar hacia arriba !"

Al Sandy

Aug 95 



m48 Bryan,Al

 



 

 

 

    
       

Copyright 1996-Present Al Sandy & Bill Holmes  All Rights Reserved.

" Constant improvements will subject specifications to change without notice "